Completed in 1914, Hawthorn Hill in Dayton, Ohio, was designed by Wilbur and Orville Wright with the aid of the Dayton architectural firm of Schenck and Williams. As the Wrights' fame grew so did their need for a larger home that could better accommodate their many guests. Therefore, with the consent of their sister Katharine, the Wright's purchased a 17-acre wooded tract named Hawthorn Hill for the many hawthorn trees covering the hillside. In 1912, shortly after approving the final plans for the house, Wilbur died. Orville dedicated himself to overseeing the construction of the residence, spending as many hours as possible at the construction site.
Hawthorn Hill was host to many notable guests such as Thomas Edison, Alexander Graham Bell, Carl Sandburg, Admiral Richard Byrd, King Constantine of Greece and President Franklin D. Roosevelt. One of the most famous guests of Hawthorn Hill arrived on June 22, 1927. Charles Lindbergh, returning to St. Louis just weeks after his nonstop flight over the Atlantic Ocean, stopped in Dayton to visit Orville Wright.
Following Orville's death January 30, 1948, his family placed the home for sale. Edward Deeds of the National Cash Register Corporation (NCR) purchased the estate, which is still used as a guesthouse for overseas visitors and dignitaries.
Information courtesy of the National Park Service. http://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/aviation/haw.htm